Cycling Tour of Maramures - the Land of Woods and Rivers
If you are fond of nature, then you will surely love the breathtaking natural landscapes of the mountains and of the river valleys. Over 30 natural protected areas, mild meadows, full of green in the summer and of snow in the winter, mountains covered by evergreen forests, all are mirrored in the crystal clear waters, spread all over this region. Cycling enthusiasts will be delighted to find out that Maramures has a complex network of forestry trails and marked footpaths, which offer great views of the villages and of the amazing northern Romanian landscape: Maramures, the 'land of silence', Ã¢Ëœthe land of woods' or the 'land of deer', is one of the most isolated and undiscovered regions of Europe. Maramures is a fascinating place in the north of Romania surrounded by mountains and picturesque valleys, the most famous and beautiful being the Mara and Iza Valleys. Ethnographically it is a treasury of old customs and rites still surviving. At one of the cemeteries, most beautifully decorated with flowers, you may attend an ancient funeral and be offered coliva and may be attend a feast in honour of the death. The region is renowned for its 17th and 18th century spindly wooden churches and beautiful hand carved wooden gates: here there are fairly-tale hamlets, splendid displays woodwork and of popular costume, country festivals, ancient traditions, hospitable people and artisans.
Click here to See Bike Route
- More than 300 km;
- 9 days to discover the history, culture and tradition of the Ã¢Å“land of rivers and woodsÃ¢�;
- Fully guided and supported;
- Cycle along the Iza and Mara river valleys to admire the beautiful scenery
- Visit of the " Merry Cemetery " - Sapanta (18 km from Sighetul Marmatiei), unique in the world, is amazing due to its originality
- Short trip with the narrow gauge train (the so-called Mocanita) hauled by a vintage steam engine from the times of the Austrian-Hungarian empire
- Visit of the 8 wooden churches, part of the Unesco World Heritage
- Botiza village (dowry chests and rugs)
- Viseul de Jos area (folk costume and fabrics)
- Bogdan Voda village (carpets and wickerwork)
- Sacel village (rough red ceramics with old traditional elements)
Bike Tour of Maramures
Breathtaking mountain landscapes and river valleys!!!