Email this Page to a Friend
Hiking & Trekking allow you to truly get to know a region, to absorb the sights and sounds of the nature, to learn about local culture and enjoy numerous adventures along the way.
One third of Romanian territory consists in mountains - The Romanian Carpathians. Although they are not very high (2544m in Fagaras Mountains), the Carpathians are very diverse.
The flora of the Carpathians includes more than 1350 species, among which many are endemic. Deep forest cover more than one third of the countryÃ¢â„¢s surface. The fauna of the Romanian Carpathians is also extremely rich and diverse. Here is to be found the highest concentration of large carnivores anywhere in Europe (about 6000 brown bears moree than half of Europe's bear population, about 3500 wolves (over a third of Europes wolves), along with 2000 lynx.
The Carpathians create wonderful scenery, with green valleys nestled between foothills ascending to wild crags or precipitous gorges. The mountain villages encountered on the way, the small summer shelters built by peasants for hay harvest, the secret shepherds` paths through forests and meadows, all these bring a unique, pastoral fragrance.
Join us in the Carpathian Garden!
Physical and equipment requirements: A typical hiking day has about 4 to 7 hours walking on trails, forest roads and village roads so it is advisable you had prior hiking experience. Necessary equipment: mountain boots, rain coats and warm cloths!
Trek the Carpathian Mountains of Romania!!!
Day by Day Itinerary:
ROUTING: BUCHAREST - BRASOV
- Arrive to Bucharest airport and transfer to Brasov
- Overnight in Brasov
ROUTING: HIKING DAY
- Meet with your mountain specialist guide and start the hiking program together with our mountain guide. This will be a medium to advanced hike to Bucegi Plateau. Admire the great view from the top of the mountains and also go to the famous rocks with human faces called “Babele” – Old Ladies and “Sfinx”.
The Bucegi mountains are located in central Romania, south of the city Braşov. They are part of the Southern Carpathians group of the Carpathian Mountains. The Bucegi is believed to be the Thracian holy mountain Kogainon, on which the mythical figure Zalmoxis lives in a cave.
The journey starts in Sinaia. Than go by cable cab to Furnica Pick at 2000 m altitude. Continue on the route Furnica – Piatra Arsa chalet – “Babele” – “Sfinx” – Babele chalet. Hiking time: 3h30min.
From the Babele chalet one can admire the surrounding landscape.
- Also is possible to serve lunch at the chalet restaurant or for picnic lunch.
For the less experienced hikers there is the option to take a cable cab back to the mountain foot at Busteni.
For advanced hikers the route will continue: Babele chalet – Stag Valley – ‘Jepii Mari” mountain – Busteni. Hiking time: 3h-3h30min.
Return to Brasov. Accomodation at the same hotel.-
ROUTING: HIKING DAY
- Today is time to explore “Piatra Craiului” Mountains. The Piatra Craiului Mountains are a mountain range in the Southern Carpathians in Romania. In Romanian "Piatra Craiului" means "Rock of the King". The Piatra Craiului mountains form a narrow and saw-like ridge, which is about 25 km long. The ridge is regarded as one of the most beautiful sights in the Carpathians.
You can choose from at least three routes:
1. medium difficulty. Gura Raului Chalet – Botorog’s Fountain – “Prapastiile Zarnestilor” – Curmatura chalet. Time: 4h-4h30min. Posibility of lunch at chalet or picnic.
Return to Gura Raului chalet. Time: 2h.
2. advanced. Gura Raului Chalet – Botorog’s Fountain – “Piatra Mica” – “Saua Crapaturii” – Curmatura chalet. Time 4h-4h30min. Posibility of lunch at chalet or picnic.
Return to Gura Raului chalet. Time: 2h.
3. advanced. Plaiul Foii chalet – Bear’s Valley – Diana hut – cross the mountain ridge – “Saua
Grindului” – Spirlea Hut – Plaiul Foii chalet. Time 8h30min-9h. Lunch can be served as a picnic.
4. advanced. Plaiul Foii chalet – mountain ridge – Turul pick – “Padina Hotarelor” – Big Barsa Valley – Plaiu Foii chalet. Time: 9 h.
Return to the Hotel.
ROUTING: CULTURAL DAY - BRASOV - PELES - BRAN - RASNOV - BRASOV
- This day is dedicated to visits at three of the most important castles from Romania.
- Peles Castle – Sinaia, former summer residence of the kings of Romania, the Peles Castle is 44 kilometres far from Brasov, in Sinaia, a well-known mountain resort as well. Nowadays the Castle is one of the most important museums in Transylvania where one can admire furniture and ornamental objects, carpets, tapestry, sculptures, paintings, collections of weapons from the 15th up to the19th centuries.
- Bran Castle, also called Dracula`s Castle, it is situated not far from Brasov (25 kilometres) at the entrance in the Bran - Rucar passage. The castle got its fame from Dracula`s legend written in 1897 by Bram Stoker and later on made into a film by Francis Ford Coppola.. The first documents about the Bran Castle appeared in 1377. Along the history, the Castle had a strategic mission being the border between Transylvania and Wallachia. First it was under the rule of the King of Hungary Sigismund of Luxemburg, of the Romanian voievodes Mircea cel Batran and Vlad Tepes and later on it came under the jurisdiction of the City of Brasov. In the XX century the castle was donated to the royal family and becamed a royal residence. The museum preserve the furniture and objects from that period.
- Rasnov Fortress, built in 1331, the Fortress had a defence role and it was a shelter for the inhabitants of Rasnov in case of enemy attacks. In the middle of the courtyard there is a well 146 metres deep and the ruins of an 11th - 12th century - Orthodox church were discovered here. Nowadays the Fortress houses an interesting indoor and open-air museum.
Return to the hotel.
ROUTING: CULTURAL DAY - BRASOV - PREJMER - SIGHISOARA
- At the begining is time to explore the Medieval Center of Brasov. Build by saxons (germans) in 13th century Brasov was one of the most important comercial and military cities during the medieval age. Nowdays Brasov is also a very important tourist center. Our visit will include Concil Square, Black Church, White&Black Towers, Weaver’s Bastion, Ecaterina’s Gate, Museum of First Romanan School.
- Than go to Prejmer and visit the Prejmer fortified church - the biggest fortress of its kind from East Europe built in the 14th century. The fortress has double walls and dungeons. Inside its walls there is a church, but the interesting thing here is the honeycomb like inner wall. Every family had one small room for sheltering in case the village was attacked.
- In the afternoon go to Sighisoara also caled “The Pearl of Transylvania” a wonderful medieval city where you can stil enjoy the medieval atmosphere. Main attractions: Clock Tower, Vlad the Impaler’s birth place, Covered stairs, church on the hill.
Return to Brasov and accomodation at the hotel.
ROUTING: HIKING DAY
- another day of hiking on “Piatra Mare” Mountains which are also part of the Southern Carpathians (Romanian: Carpaţii Meridionali), also called the Transylvanian Alps, are a group of mountain ranges which divide central and southern Romania. They cover part of the Carpathian Mountains that is located between the Prahova River in the east and the Timiş and Cerna Rivers in the west.
Medium route: Dambul Morii chalet – 7 Stairs Canion - Bears Valley – “Sipotelor” Valley – “Sirul cu pietre” – Dambu Morii chalet.Time 4h-4h30min. Picnic lunch.
Advanced route: Dambul Morii chalet – “Sipotelor” Valley – 7 Stairs canion – Piatra Mare peak – Piatra Mare chalet – Dambu Morii chalet. Time: 7h.
Option 2. Medium route: Sinaia – Dog’s crag – Baicului ridge –Garbovei mountain – Azuga town. Time 5h-5h30min.
Than optional you can go for a visit at Rhein Cellar from Azuga, taste sparkling wine and serve lunch.
- Return to Brasov and overnight at the same hotel.
ROUTING: BRASOV - BUCHAREST
- Transfer to Bucharest airport for your departure flight
End of tour services
Prices, Dates & What's Included:
Prices available upon request...
The Tour Includes:
- 6 nights accomodation with breakfast
- transport with car, minivan, or minibus
- cable car tickets (Sinaia and Busteni)
- English speaking local mountain and cultural guide
- Local taxes.
- Alcoholic drinks
- Photo or video taxes during the visits
- Extra charges of hotel, eg. Laundry, telephone or fax charges, room service, etc..
Dates and space for this tour are limited. To see if departures are available for your dates please fill out the Inquire/Book It form which you can access from the button below.