Email this Page to a Friend
The Rarau Mountains together with Giumalau massif are part of the Eastern Carpathians and offer you fantastic cycling opportunities. Though of moderate height (the Rarau-1,653 m and the Giumalau-1,857 m), the beauty of the landscape with karst relief, old forests and geological preserves and the numerous paths on easy slopes for hiking, attract many mountain lovers. Rarau is the tourist symbol of Bucovina. Some of the most beautiful spots are: the Devil's Mill Gorges, a geological and morphological preserve in the Rarau Mountains, impressive for the height of the walls; the Lady's Stones, splendid "Gothic towers" formed of alpine limestone; the Secular Forest from Slatioara, one of the oldest forests of Romania and even Europe, with some trees of 350-400 years old; Putna Valley Forest, a forest preserve under Giumalau Peak sheltering a rich fauna.
Vatra Dornei (802 m) is a resort looking up to the high peaks of Rarau-Giumalau Mountains, situated at the confluence of the rivers Dorna and Bistrita, in one of the most beautiful depressions of the Eastern Carpathians, Tara Dornelor. It is well known for its mineral waters, as well as for its ski tracks. Furthermore, its cheese assortments are also said to be the best. Cycling enthusiasts will be delighted to find out that Rarau offers many forestry trails and marked footpaths, which offer great views of the amazing landscape.
Click here to See Bike Route
- 90 km off back roads and mountain paths
- Fully guided and supported
- 3 days to discover the tourism symbol of Bucovina, the Rarau mountains area.
- Cheile Zugrenilor (Devil's Mills Gorges)
- Vatra Dornei spa resort
- Pietrele Doamnei (LadyÃ¢â„¢s Stones)
- Slatioara forest
- Mestecanis clough Ã¢â€œ 15 km from Vatra Dornei
- Putna Valley Ã¢â€œwhere the old Austrian Imperial Road was passing
- Campulung Moldovenesc city - 8 km from Pojorata village
Go on a short escape with your bike to Rarau mountains in Romania!!!
Day by Day Itinerary:
ROUTING: GET TOGETHER IN POJORATA (Transportation to start point not included)
- After a detailed introduction of the tour from our guide we will pay a cultural and historic visit to the city Campulung Moldovenesc. Located at 478 km from Bucharest, the town is situated at the crossroad of the main roads and railroads, which link Moldavia to Transylvania and Maramures. Spread all over the Valley of Moldova River, this town has a special charm. It is located in the northwestern part of Suceava County. In spite of its small size, the town accomplishes multiples urban functions such as the tourist centre combined with an industrial function (The Furniture Factory, The "Raraul" Milk Factory, The Shoe's Factory, The Cotton Wires Fill Factory). In downtown Campulung, tourists may visit the Museum of Wood Carving and the Collection of wooden spoons Ã¢Å“Ion TuguiÃ¢�, both unique in Europe by diversity of the exhibited objects, structure and placement.
- Accommodation and dinner in Pojorata, the starting point of our cycling experience in the Rarau mountains.
ROUTING: POJORATA - RARAU CLOUGH - CHIRIL - VATRA DORNEI ~ 52 KM
- After having breakfast we will begin our cycling trip to Rarau peak. Before leaving Pojorata, take a moment to admire the large stones of Adam and Eve as you enter the village. A second mountain road leads up to the chalet from the village of Pojorata, along the dirt road. Up to Rarau peak (1600 m) we will cycle for about 18 km, starting with an easy climbing ride. The last 8 km will be quite demanding due to the steep climbing. The regionÃ¢â„¢s main base for hikers is Cabana Rarau, located at an elevation of 1400 meters.
From Cabana Rarau it is just a 30-minute walk to the foot of RarauÃ¢â„¢s most important rocks, the LadyÃ¢â„¢s Stones (Pietrele Doamnei). The highest peak (1678m) is covered with crosses in memory of the climbers the mountain has claimed (and the view is outstanding). Additionally, a trail marked by red stripes and red triangles, leads from the cabana to the Slatioara Reservation. After a lunch break, we will start a descent for 11 km up to the village of Chiril and from there to Vatra Dornei. We will ride for about 23 km along the valley of the Bistrita river, passing Cheile Zugrenilor and the villages of Sunatori, Rusca, Gheorghiteni, Ortoaia si Cozanesti. Dinner and accommodation in Vatra Dornei resort.
- Important sights: Pietrele Doamnei; Rarau peak; Liliecilor cave (1 km from Rarau hotel) ; old Rarau chalet and the new Rarau chalet;
ROUTING: VATRA DORNEI - PASUL MESTECANIS - VALEA PUTNEI - POJORATA ~ 37 KM
- From Vatra Dornei we follow the European Road E58 climbing towards Mestecanis clough (1096 m). We will be climbing 300 m, on a distance of 15 km. From Mestecanis to Pojorata we will cycle another 22 km on the European road E58 to Campulung Moldovenesc. This beautiful road divides the three massifs: Rarau- Giumalau, Suhard and Obcina Mestecanis. The road descents along the Putna and Moldova River valleys up to Pojorata. Here, we have the option of descending using the modern road or the old Austrian Imperial road.
- The road from Vatra Dornei to Campulung Moldovenesc is totally asphalted.
- Important sights: DevilÃ¢â„¢s Mil Gorges (Cheile Zugrenilor); Vatra Dornei resort; Mestecanis clough; Putna valley;
End of tour services
Prices, Dates & What's Included:
Prices available upon request...
The Tour Includes:
- 2 nights accommodation
- Full board for all period - Breakfasts, Dinners and Picnic Lunches
- All entrances to museums and other sights included in the itinerary
- Energizers & refreshment drinks
- Luggage transportation
- Vehicle Assistance (whenever roads allow it to pass)
- English speaking accompanying bike guide (Note: We may organize also German or French Speaking guides, pls. inquire)
- Local Taxes
- branded Tshirt
- Alcoholic drinks
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Bike, accessories and equipment rental
- Transport from the airport or station to Pojorita and back to the airport or train station. (Transfers from Suceava and Iasi are available. Inquire for extra costs)
- On arrival, the participants will be informed on the program and other necessary information, they will be familiarized with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike etc). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfill all terms and conditions.
- In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
- Due to the long distance for the first day and the organizational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local ride or a visit in the surrounding area.
Please fill out the Inquire/Book It form for more details, which you can access from the button below.